On Tuesday, July 09, NBC continues its legacy of comedy by premiering its new series “Bring the Funny.” “Bring the Funny” is a new competition series in partnership with the international organization Just for Laugh. 40 comedic acts will vie for the $250,000 prize package and the opportunity to perform at the 2020 Just for Laughs Festival. “Bring the Funny” features the best of the best stand-ups, sketch troupes and comedic variety acts. From solo comics to sketch troupes to musicians, magicians, puppeteers, YouTubers and more. For the first time on television, “Bring the Funny” embraces every style of comedy performance in one competition. During the live finale of the show, America gets to vote for who they think is the funniest of the funny.
The series brings together some of the most prolific comedians in the industry to serve as judges; “Saturday Night Live’s” longest-running cast member Kenan Thompson, cultural tastemaker Chrissy Teigen and comedy icon Jeff Foxworthy. Comedian Amanda Seales serves as host for the competition.
David Friedman and Matilda Zoltowski serve as executive producers. Just for Laughs President Bruce Hills serves as consulting producer. The series is produced by Universal Television Alternative Studio.
The premiere airs Tuesday, July 09 at 10 p.m. ET/PT after “America’s Got Talent.”
Some of the talented contestants on “Bring the Funny” include:
- Lewberger: This three-man musical comedy group came together four years ago and after combining two of the members’ last names, Lewberger was born. You may recognize Keith from the YouTube group the Try Guys. Lewberger has had incredible success on YouTube thus far, but now the threesome is ready to reach even more viewers on the “Bring the Funny” stage.
- Frangela: Friends of 20 years, Frances and Angela have an unmatched bond that is showcased in their perfect timing and ability to play off each other naturally. They are not new to the television and movie scene, and they are ready to show the competition just how fierce they are!
- Chris & Paul Show: Harking back to classic Hollywood these “modern vaudevillians” take silent film style sketches and bring them into the 21st century. Over the last 20 years, Chris and Paul have been steadfast in their passion for sketch comedy, and are hoping that “Bring the Funny” brings their dream of having their own theater to life.
- Ali Kolbert: Ali has always had a clear vision of what her future holds – comedy! Ali never stops writing, performing and preparing for her dream to be a cast member on “Saturday Night Live” and is hoping she will be one step closer with the help of “Bring the Funny.” Ali is currently a host on webshow “BUILD Brunch,” discussing pop culture news live every weekday.
- Becca Brown: Gaining early success as a child star with her appearance in “School of Rock,” Brown eventually made her way to the comedy scene. She is a prominent force in Chicago’s theater and comedy space and covers various topics in the world of dating and other relatable struggles.
- Daphnique Springs: While studying to be a chemist in college, Springs took an acting class and soon realized her career path had changed. Her start in the comedy world did not come easy, but all her hard work is paying off and has been featured Fox’s “Laughs” and HBO’s “All Def Comedy.”
- Matt Rife: This stand-up comedian was influenced by his grandfather’s love of comedy while growing up. After moving to Los Angeles from Ohio, he became a leading cast member on MTV’s “Wild N Out” and appeared on “The Challenge: Champs vs. Stars” in 2017.
- Erica Rhodes Rhodes originally moved to Hollywood to be an actress but was met with a lot of frustration, so she turned to stand-up to help with the disappointment. Over the years, Rhodes has appeared on ABC’s “Modern Family,” Fox’s “New Girl,” IFC’s “Comedy Bang Bang” and Comedy Central’s “@Midnight” and “Why? With Hannibal Buress.”
Click below to watch the judges talk about Bring the Funny:
July 09, 2019 10:00 PM
THE OPEN MIC 1 (TV-14)
In the series premiere of “Bring the Funny,” Kenan Thompson, Chrissy Teigen, and Jeff Foxworthy join forces at the judges’ table in search of the funniest comedy act around. In the “Open Mic” round, sketch, variety and stand-up comedy acts from all over the world give it they’re all to impress the judges and make it to the next round of the competition in hopes of ultimately winning the $250,000 grand prize and becoming the first-ever winner of “Bring the Funny.” Comedian Amanda Seales serves as host.
July 16, 2019 10:00 PM
THE OPEN MIC 2 (TV-14)
The “Open Mic” round continues with judges Kenan Thompson, Chrissy Teigen and Jeff Foxworthy and host Amanda Seales. In the second night of the “Open Mic” round, sketch, variety and stand-up comedy acts from all over the world give it their all to impress the judges and make it to the next round of the competition in hopes of winning the $250,000 grand prize and becoming the first-ever winner of “Bring the Funny.”
Click below to see contestant Kristin Key perform: